What character are you making?

Home Forums Workshop: Building Character – Realism Fall 2015 What character are you making?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Louhikarme 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

CodyWinch
    Participant

Curious to see what kind of characters everyone is making. So feel free to post any drawings or whatever you are using for reference if you want to.

So I plan to do 2 characters. Both males so I can reuse my sculpt but tweak the head and the proportions. The first one that was shown during the live stream is a human male of athletic build. A heavily armored knight. I took reference from Warcraft, Dark Souls, Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubnalut43r6ykes/Human%20Concept.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/icenijq426cn1b9/Human%20Concept%20Cloaked.jpg?dl=0

My second character is an orc/urukhai. Pretty much a bulky huge human with fangs and deep red skin. Very little in the way of armor. Just some leggings and bandages on his body and a cloak like the knight. His body will be heavily scarred and tatooed. I have not had the time to finish painting this concept so I will post my photoshoped collage of the character.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kl7lebkx15hckx3/Orc%20Concept.jpg?dl=0

For the past year-ish I have been working on a handful of addons for things such as muscle simulation and pose space deformations. I plan to use these characters to test out my addons in potentially a short animation. But for now that is all just wishful thinking and I need to focus on making the characters >.<

Louhikarme
    Participant

I’m actually waiting if i can get my hands on concept that would go into a game eventually if its good enough. Hopefully i hear them back during this week. if not then i need to fall back and think of something cool myself. albeit my skills on drawing and sketching is.. bad to say it nicely. 😀

Kent
    Participant

@codywinch: Fantastic idea for a thread. And awesome character designs! They’ll fit perfectly into the workshop curriculum.

I’m extremely interested to hear how your muscle sim and pose space deformers come along!

ronin19587
    Participant

Im kinda on the fence about what character I should make. Considering a vampire seductress type, that definitely would be fun, also considering something inspired by Rose from Legend of Dragoon. Maybe you guys can help me make the decision….

dbrown
    Participant

I’m currently working on two different character. The first one is the one I submitted for the livestream, which is a japanese vocaloid cosplayer, who is depressed due to all of the negative attention, and resorts to a self-destructive path. I put her in a T-pose, because I plan to create multiple poses/scenes for her storyline (we’ll see how that goes). The cosplay outfit I will be creating for this workshop will be of Hatsune Miku (hence the long hair).

The second character I’m working on, is actually an anime character in which I’m modeling for the 3D world. I’m modeling this character as if it was a PVC anime figurine, just to learn the process from 2D to 3D (it’s a wild difference from traditional character modeling, but I want to conquer it).

I’ll post progress next week if anyone is interested.

CodyWinch
    Participant

@kent I really need to put together a demo video of my addons. They are far along but most of the work left is optimizations, ui, and features to speed things up.

@ronin I am not familiar with the Legend of Dragoon game or characters. Never bought it as a kid but always wanted to play it. From an image search Rose looks somewhat vampire-ish maybe a bit more towards a demonic succubus type of character.

In my mind a vampire seductress type would be more flowing dark gowns and Rose looks more dark gothicy armor with lots of detail. So I would say go with the one you are more interested in making the accessories for.

@dbrown I have dabbled in doing a 2d to 3d translation when I made a 3d print of my friends chibi character. It was a challenge but a lot of fun.

dbrown
    Participant

@Cody, amen brother. I actually worked on a transition from 2D to 3D in august, and there were so many differences; I learned quite a bit in the process. It’s not for the faint of heart that’s for sure, but it has been a lot of fun seeing how the transition works, especially in the face. I recently ordered a couple PVC figurines to help, and found even more things that differ from realistic.

In short, yes, a fun challenge for sure, and I have been fixated on it ever since.

As for your addons, have you used the muscles addon at all? I looked at it, but haven’t taken the time to try it out yet. It looks great though. I can’t remember if it was specific to animals, or worked universally, but either way it looked great. I’m really interested to see what you use these days, as I think your timelapse videos were fairly old, yes?

CodyWinch
    Participant

Do you mean the muscle tools addon? I have looked at it but it is missing a lot of functionality imo. It is also uses the shrinkwrap modifier which is not reliable. My addon has functionality similar to Maya muscle and will have some other methods for sliding over muscles. Ever since seeing the talk on cloth simulation at the blender conference I have been slowing research mass spring systems and I may try to incorporate that into my system.

Which timelapse videos are you referring to? I haven’t done one for these addons.

dbrown
    Participant

Yeah, the muscle addon. I read that it was missing functionality, but haven’t met anyone that tried it.

I mean your sculpt timelapses, and seeing what addons you use in the process.

CodyWinch
    Participant

Oh yeah I haven’t done many timelapses lately. I recorded some but not all of my sculpting for week 2. I will post it this weekend.

Mike
    Participant

There’s a bunch of stuff I want to learn from this class (female form, clothes, fur), but I don’t really have any characters that are human or realistic. So, I decided to sculpt a character from my favorite comic (I’m a huge comic gook) and that’s the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

She has the power of both squirrel AND girl. The book is amazing and great for all-ages. So if you have a little girl that likes superheroes, but wants to see someone that looks like her and not a stupid boy, this is perfect.

Kent
    Participant

Cannot wait to see these characters realized. Loving the ideas.

Louhikarme
    Participant

Kent
    Participant

@louhikarme: There’s nothing wrong with a good ‘ol fantasy warrior 😀 But I can’t follow the link – Can you make sure it’s the right url?

Louhikarme
    Participant

whops. it seems that my host has weird way of linking those links. this one should work
    http://louhi.1g.fi/kuvat/3D%20Projects/BWS01_W3_KajSuominen_sculptureMaleblockout_v14.png/_full.jpg

just submitted this for this weeks homework, but going to spend friday sculpting more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.