Rustic Scifi Trash Collector (Female)

Home Forums Workshop: Building Character – Realism Winter 2016 Rustic Scifi Trash Collector (Female)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  slugoro 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

slugoro
    Participant

Just a progress journal to keep myself accountable, feel free to point out flaws or make suggestions. I would love to see what you guys have too.

Concept: http://imgur.com/a/DBSBs

Old Vers

Current

Things I still need to work on:
    – Add ears, raincoat, overall straps, and bracers
    – Detail everything
    – Resize the head maybe? It looks okay in perspective but looks awful in ortho. Advice on scaling the eyes and hair with the head? Tips on scaling up body parts in general? Proportional editing crashes my PC.

Kent
    Participant

Hey, thanks for posting this thread @slugoro! I love to see how you’re keeping yourself accountable. I agree that the head is maybe a little small, but in general I’d say to favor how the perspective view feels more than orthographic.

As for scaling up the head with its relevant body parts (eyes and hair), it’s ideal to do with proportional editing. If your poly count is the reason for the crash, maybe you can run a decimate modifier before hand to decrease the poly count.

But my general approach for this kind of scaling task is to:

1. Find a good pivot for the scale operation and set your 3D cursor there. With the head it’s often the neck area or ear (from side view), but keep the cursor in the middle of the head in the X axis.

2. Select the head in faces/vertices in Edit Mode with proportional editing enabled and scale up to desired size using 3D cursor as your pivot. Also MAKING SURE to note the numeric value of the scale operation (visible in the head or the 3D view when scaling).

3. Once completing the scale operation and noting the numeric value, scale each of the head-related objects (eyes, hair, glasses, etc) using 3D cursor as pivot + typing in the same numeric value from earlier. This will ensure that everything is scaled up exactly relative to one another.

I will try to remember to demonstrate this in next week’s livestream – Please remind me if I don’t remember!

slugoro
    Participant

Had to decimate it by a ton. I translated the head down a bit and then scaled it to fit the sphere. I couldn’t catch the numbers so I just guessed for the eyes and hair. I’m going to try it proper when I get to a work computer.

Here’s a comparison:

Thanks again!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  slugoro.

slugoro
    Participant

Everything up to size:

slugoro
    Participant

Going for a rubber material:

Kent
    Participant

@slugoro – I think it’s looking better; more proportionate. Can you post a full-bodied shot? Also maybe set the viewport’s coal length to 60 instead of 35 (in the N panel’s “View” section)

slugoro
    Participant

@Kent – It’s preset to 60, do you mean to 35?

slugoro
    Participant

Boots and more overall work:

Kent
    Participant

Excellent progress @slugoro! I’m really liking the rubbery pant wrinkle detail you’ve added. The boots look great too. This is fun to watch 😀

Re: the viewport lens setting is set to 60? It looks like 35. You’re talking about the setting that’s in the N-Panel (View Properties) > View > Lens?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Kent.

slugoro
    Participant

Two old versions and current, I toned down the hard right fold after going back to the ref. That and the right knee folds felt really off, mostly because I was trying to wing it.

@Kent – Yes and thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.