Questions for Week 1 Livestream

Home Forums Workshop: Building Character – Realism Fall 2015 Questions for Week 1 Livestream

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mike 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Kent
    Participant

Please reply to this thread with any questions that you’d like to be answered in Week 1’s Livestream. Whether you’re wondering about the workshops curriculum or format, weekly schedules, workflow, or any questions for me like,“Who is this buffoon teaching me about building characters?”.

NOTE: You will have the ability to type questions during the livestream, but anything you have in mind ahead of time is always good for me to prepare a response or brief demonstration.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Kent.

Louhikarme
    Participant

When planning a completely new character, do you draw it on a concept first like a 2d template. or just start sculpting away? or do you gather different reference pics from the items you are going to put into character and then start sculpting?

Kent
    Participant

@Kaj: I’ll try not to respond to this thread much so it can be an organized collection of questions. But it felt anti-social to not acknowledge your reply lol – “Great question” is what I mean to say!

IBRA
    Participant

Hi Kent.

Will the livestream be recorded ?

Kent
    Participant

@Ibra: Yes they will be recorded.

Philippe
    Participant

Hey Kent,

do you think it would be possible to additionally provide the video lessons as files, as on the cookie site? I’m asking because I’m commuting by train for 2-3 hours a day – that would be a great opportunity to watch the videos, but I don’t have internet access on the train.
    I often download cg cookie courses to watch on my laptop, but during the workshop being able to watch the video lessons before getting home would be great and really save time to do the actual sculpting 🙂

Thanks,

Philippe

Kent
    Participant

@philippe: Certainly, of course I’ll do that!

EDIT: Download links are available now.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Kent.

Akoaih
    Participant

When exactly are the homework assignments due? “By Thursday” leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Kent
    Participant

@akoaih: By the end of the day Thursday, regardless of timezone. Just so that when I get to work Friday I have all submissions ready for feedback.

Daniel
    Participant

Hi Kent,

maybe you can explain how you present your WIP sculptures to others. My workflow is like adding a hdri, 3 point light, a plane for the ground, camera and a basic shader for the whole sculpture. Is this the way you suggest doing it? Or do you prefer OpenGL renderings with Matcaps? I feel like I’m doing it not right spending about 15 minutes only for this WIP setup.

Looking forward to see you tonight!

Philippe
    Participant

Hey Kent – quick question: On the workshop page it says that the livestream starts at 6pm EST (GMT-4) – are you sure that EST is GMT-4? The internet always lists EST as GMT-5 (12am in GMT+1), so I’m not sure whether the stream will start at 11pm or 12am my time (CET)…
    Just post your current local time if you read this and I’ll know when to arrive!

Thanks a lot!

Philippe

Kent
    Participant

@philippe: Ahh good call. I think I didn’t account for daylight savings that occurred a couple days ago – You’re right it should be GMT-5. Here’s a link to a website event thing that should be trustworthy: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=BWS01+Week+1+Livestream&iso=20151103T18&p1=212&ah=2

PS – I will update the Livestream page.

Aaron
    Participant

Do you see any downside to 3D scanning a base mesh for sculpting?

Mike
    Participant

I think class starts in 20 minutes. I haven’t gotten a link for the livestream. I’m not sure how this whole things supposed to work.

Mike
    Participant

nevermind. there it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.