Additional Help?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Louhikarme 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

dbrown
    Participant

Hello everyone! I wanted to break the figurative ice here, and offer myself to anyone wanting another set of eyes for C&C (comments and critiques). The only thing I hope to get in return, is that you share what you see in the work of others, or my own.

If it is anything I’ve learned in the past with any art, is how we see things are not the same as how others see that same thing. Usually the perception is the way we wish we could see, and in turn open up an entire new world of thoughts, and views.

Anyways, I may be annoyingly energetic, but I will certainly give you my honest and open opinion. You are welcome to contact me via email at: dbrown@3desprit.com (even if you just want to contact me with a better suggestion for communication: Skype, Hangouts, Screenhero, etc).

Hell, if there are enough people wanting to work together, we could just make a Google Hangouts where we could screen-share, and converse. I also understand that some people will probably prefer to stick to themselves, and that’s understandable. I just wanted to throw these ideas out there while we are all still getting ready.

ronin19587
    Participant

Hey Dennis, good idea, I know what you mean. I think also once you’ve been staring at the same project long enough, you lose some perspective of where to take it next. I just finished a sculpt i started about a week ago, working on it here and there to prep for the workshop. I can’t use it for homework because I had a head start on it, but let me know what you guys think anyway. I am sure there are a couple pointers you guys could throw out. Thanks guys!

openGL render link

link for reference image

ronin19587
    Participant

dbrown
    Participant

It looks great!

Compared to the concept, it looks like the area around the eye should protrude outwards more, where the both the upper and lower portions around the eye are pulled out much farther, giving it a very defined look, and casting some shadow on the areas below them. There seems to be a lot of areas like that, where it gives the head a very sharp, and rough look, without the scaling.

Of course being this far into it, you may not want to mess with those nuances, but I thought I would point them out, in hopes that you may see what I see in future pieces. 🙂

Kent
    Participant

This thread is an awesome idea, @dbrown. Thanks for offering!

ronin19587
    Participant

Yeah, there are a few spots that aren’t perfect. It’s hard work going off of one profile picture, the beautiful thing about multires is making small changes doesn’t ruin the details on higher levels, so no biggie to continue tweaking. I added the leathery skin, but still on the fence about if I like it. Thanks, Dennis!

dbrown
    Participant

Any time at all!

ronin19587
    Participant

OK, So I just cant resist, I just want to sculpt like crazy to sharpen my skills for this course, I did this this one in about 3 hrs or so, I need to build up my speed I think, critiques please!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_IT6CVAVseSVlMSFBDdnEzTUU/view?usp=sharing

dbrown
    Participant

Looking great!

The ears look like they have been hit with a smooth brush quite a bit (less smoothing will speed up the process for sure). Your creases could use some inflate love as well (brow). Just a few things that jumped out at me.

ronin19587
    Participant

Thanks, Dennis, I tweaked it a bit as per your suggestions. Better?
    new link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_IT6CVAVseSVlMSFBDdnEzTUU/view?usp=sharing

dbrown
    Participant

Excellent! I’m glad you were able to see what I saw. 🙂

I promise I’ll post some of my stuff in the near future, so this isn’t a one-sided conversation. 😉

dbrown
    Participant

Ok, here is the sculpt, without materials/lighting/etc. Any and all feedback is extremely appreciated.

Bacchus’ Dancing Maidens Sculpt WIP

To give an idea of how this was sculpted, the entire piece has been done in dyntopo on a single plane, and layered strokes of clay one by one (no smoothing). Since it is more of a 2D sculpt, I treated it as such, by trying not too zoom in too much (even though I did), so to not lose the overall aspect of the piece. Still, I know there are mistakes I made, because I did zoom in. 🙁

I tried to get the first three done, but as you may see, the first one received the most attention before I ran out of time (and then some. Sorry Kent). The last two didn’t make it past the base phase, the second and third still need a detail phase, and the first hasn’t not had a single bit of polish.

So, there is my process, and my poor excuses. 😉

dbrown
    Participant

Already, I can see I need to go back and add more definition to the first one, as it lost a lot of structure with the detail pass. Grrr. Live and learn.

ronin19587
    Participant

Lookin sharp, I can see that the maiden all the way on the right needs the cloth tweaked a little bit. Its coming along great though, awesome relief sculpt, not always easy to pull off the definition you want because of the 2d to 3d translation, trying to achieve the shapes you want without getting to high off of the base surface, but looks like you’re accomplishing it well, sweet job so far

dbrown
    Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I think I will work on the base of the 4th and 5th to make them match the rest (except the 1st). I may try to work on this a bit more before we start the 2nd week. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.